Skip to main content

10 Things You Never Say To The Mom of An Autistic Child

In honor of Autism Awareness Month, I want to take some time out to do this favor on behalf of parents of ASD kids everywhere. MY ASD baby, Spike was diagnosed very early, at 2 years old. I was so overwhelmed in the beginning. I had so many new medical terms, symptoms, and procedures to learn in addition to the emotional strain of learning I would now be parenting a special needs child. I had a whole lot to learn and no time to do it. It was rough.


In hindsight, I’m sure friends, family, coworkers, and even strangers had just as many questions and concerns. In hindsight, I’m sure most of their comments were innocent and well meaning. However, I have spent many moments fuming with anger, hurt or exasperation due to ignorant, insensitive, or rude comments and questions made to me about my ASD child.


In the hope that I can save some other parents and well-meaning friends and family some hurt feelings and embarrassment. I have compiled 10 Things You Never Say To The Mom of An Autistic Child. You’re welcome.



  1. He looks so normal. - What does this even mean? I don’t know what you think normal looks like or what autistic look like, but my son is fly AF. Thanks though...not.


  1. Oh, I’m so sorry! - Listen..I get you may not know what to say. And maybe you’re noticing the amount of blood, sweat, and buckets of tears it can sometimes take to parent an ASD kid. But saying sorry makes us feel like you are pitying us and/or that you feel bad that we’ve created the funniest, coolest kid ever. Being this kid’s mom has helped me grow and love in ways I never knew possible, plus he is a genuinely great kid. I’m not sorry, you don’t need to be either.


  1. Are you sure he’s autistic? - Believe or not, because Spike is high-functioning, I get this a lot. Yes, he’s verbal and isn’t doing any of the behaviors you’ve seen on Rain Man, but after 3 doctors, 2 neurologists and a team of therapists. Yeah, I’m pretty sure.


  1. Oh, did you have him vaccinated? Or that’s why I don’t vaccinate, Or anything that has the V word. This is a personal and very dangerous subject. There is a very big chance this could get you pimp slapped. Just. Don’t.


  1. He just needs some discipline. Or, you need to spank him. - Now I’m sure there are times when we all have this thought while observing someone else’s child act out. However, this was actually said to me by an older woman, as my three-year-old had an absolute meltdown in Target after he lost the empty ketchup bottle he had been carrying everywhere for the last 6 weeks. (Don’t ask). At the time I was exhausted and had an equally cranky 5-year-old begging for McDonald’s. It’s possible I threatened to knock her dentures out. Any jury would have acquitted. An ASD kid’s tantrum isn’t the result of poor parenting. Any sort of sensory overload could have triggered a meltdown and a struggling parent might need some help or just an understanding smile. I don't need your judgment. And I don’t need a case.


  1. I know all about that, my cousin’s best friend is autistic. - This isn’t all that bad considering some of the others, but if you know one autistic person, you just know one autistic person. Autism is a spectrum of disorders, with so many symptoms and behaviors that it’s unlikely my kid is anything like your family member.


  1. He’s just being picky. He should eat whatever you give him. He’ll eat when he’s hungry. - Actually, he won’t. And how many days should I starve him while I wait for his sensory issues with certain foods to miraculously cure themselves? Trying to force him just to taste it, will probably end with him throwing it up. And then my sensory issues will kick in, and I’ll throw up. Who needs this drama?


  1. Oh, he doesn’t seem that bad. - This has been said to me many times, in response to “My son is autistic.” I didn’t say he was bad, I said he is autistic. Autism isn’t bad, and there isn’t anything wrong with him. He just interacts with the world differently than you or I. Different can be a beautiful thing.


  1. So what can he do? - I admit, I was thrown by this at first.  Like what do you think he is, a trick pony? I know many movies about folks on the spectrum will highlight a special talent or genius they have. Though my son does have some special talents, like a crazy sick memory, I don’t know that it has to do with his autism and many ASD kids don’t. It’s not a buy one get one free kind of deal.


  1. Will he always be like that? - Will he always have Autism? Yes. Will he always be reciting entire TV episodes to himself, humming to self soothe, or whatever atypical behavior you are noticing at the moment? To tell the truth I don’t know, there are behaviors and symptoms he had for years that have disappeared and new ones have taken their place. There is no road map to autism, I’m just along for the ride.


I know most people don’t mean any harm when attempting to discuss our ASD children. And I don’t mean to insinuate you should ignore our child's issue or not ask questions, especially if this is a close friend or family member. We do need your love and support. My hope is that you approach the situation with more tact and compassion and save the judgement. Cause we’re mommies and we’re sensitive about that shit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Basel Miami Beach 2014 - Artist to Watch - Troy Simmons

It's that time of year. Art Basel will descend on Miami next month so get ready! With events jam-packed from December 2nd to the 7th, it's hard to know which are the hottest shows attend, Luckily my new publication BOSSY is to the rescue. BOSSY invites it's readers to check out Art Basel - One to Watch- Troys Simmons. Local artist Troy Simmons has immersed himself in his latest artwork, exploring the evolution of urbanism and nature’s persistence to coexist. A consistent theme, which echoes true to his intense fascination with nature and modern Brutalist Architecture. Under the direction of JanKossen Contemporary Art Gallery in Basel, Switzerland, Simmons will showcase his new concrete work during a solo show at CONTEXT Miami Art Fair December 2nd-7th at booth #E75. He will also have several pieces on display at SCOPE Art Show Miami Beach. His massive, large-scale concrete canvases are a mix of acrylic paints and raw materials. At first

12 Things I've Learned From 12 Years of Marriage

As I celebrated a friend's upcoming nuptials at her bachelorette pool party, she jokingly asked for advice and wisdom before jumping the broom. To my defense, we had just done about 6 shots out of penis shaped shot glasses and I was not in shape to advise anybody about anything. Except on the dangers of mixing tequila and champagne. (Don't judge us, you don't know our lives) But now that I've had time to think about (and sober up) I decided to share with her and all y'all 12 Lessons I've Learned From 12 Years of Marriage. 1. Maintenance Matters-  When you buy a new car or a new home, you expect to put time, effort and money into keeping it running well. Something breaks, you fix it, a pipe bursts and you replace it. You take your car for regular tune-ups to keep everything in working order. These aren't the most pleasant of chores, but we do them because we want the pleasure of living in a nice home and riding in a nice car. Guess what? Your marri

Who Protects our Children?

Yes, I know I haven't posted in many, many months, but we will deal with that later. There is something so pressing and so heavy on my heart and mind that I needed to address it here, in this space, where I am a Mommy first. I know we have all seen the video of the Spring Valley student slammed to the ground and literally dragged like a rag doll out of her classroom. This blog isn't even about that. As disgusting and criminal (Yes I said criminal) as his actions were, he's not why I'm here to vent. I am appalled NO horrified and disappointed and disgusted by how many responded to that video with, "But what did she do? or We can't see what she did before? Or well why didn't she just leave the class or give up the cell phone"" Black parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles all actively LOOKING for a reason to blame this child for this man's horrific violence and contempt towards her. As if there HAS to be another reason for a white police office